Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Happy Birthday Canada!



As the day unfolds and all the t's have been crossed, today is not just another day. Some pretty cool things are taking place. Today Canada is a year older and a year wiser. And even though I live very far away, I can see that little red and white flag flying with pride. For me it stands for love, understanding and belonging. That carefully woven fabric we call our land is a symbol of beauty, bounty and pride. It makes me feel closer to my friends, my family and some of those Canadians who have become household names in the advertising section of our bilingual cereal boxes: KD Lang, Douglas Coupland, Neil Young, Terry Fox, Grandma Jean. Tonight the Studio Gallery Raspail will open its doors and some of my work will finally be seen. When all is said and done (and I mean literally, wet glue done!) the exhibition is a natural evolution to the next step. The idea of saying something through one's work and passion to clear the air so that the new ideas can take root... and grow. Today not everyone will be in front of their TV watching the kick off between Brazil and France in the World Cup soccer match! My Aunt from Brackendale, B.C. will be waking up from a groggy sleep in much pain. She will have survived her first bout of surgery against breast cancer. So when the flame of the kiss is lit tonight at the opening, and the pillars of feman strength stand side by side I will be thinking of her and her courage towards the next step. Oh! Canada!

No comments: